Return to first page
Education | Positions and work experiences | Courses | Dissertations supervised or co-supervised | Research, Publications and speeches | Awards | Computer literacy | photo Galery, etc.:
Born in Hamadan, one of the oldest cities in the ancient Iran. Date of birth: 9/4/1951 -- Married: 1979 -- Children: two dauthers. Living and education in different cities of Iran: Living now in Mashhad
BA degree in English Language and Literature from Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran, 1974.
MS in Library and Information Science, University of Tehran, Iran, 1979.
PhD from the School of Information, Library and Archive Studies, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
Positions and work experience:
1. Cataloger at the Iran Planning Institute, from 1976 to 1979.
2. Head of the Library at the International Institute for Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Tehran, from 1979 to 1982.
3. Head of Farsi and Arabic Cataloging division, Central Library, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, from 1983 to 1987.
4. Head of Technical Services Division, Central Library, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, from 1987 to 1992 .
5. Library Educator at the Department of Library and Information Studies, Faculty of Education and Psychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran, from October 1985--
6. Deputy for Research Affairs at the Faculty of Education and Psychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran, from October 1998 to January 2001.
7. Head of the Department of Library and Information Studies, Faculty of Education and Psychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran, from October 2001--
8. President of the Iranian Library and Information Association (ILISA), from April 2001 -- 2003, 2006--
9. Founder of the First Iranian Electronic Discussion Group LIS (email@example.com) in the field of library and information sciences, 1376- (1997- ).
10. Member of the LIS Committee at the Ministry of Science, Reseach and Technology, 1387-- (2008-- )
11. Member of the Committee for Evaluation of Higher Education Institution in Khorasan Razavi Province, 1387-- (2008-- )
12. Member of the Committee for the Scholarly Promotion of Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 1387-- (2008-- )
1. Descriptive Cataloging
2. Reference sources (English, French and German [Latin] texts, both printed and electronic)
3. English language for LIS
B. Graduate (Master) courses:
1. Information Technology and Information Systems
2. Abstracting and Indexing
3. Periodicals [serials] management
4. Independent Learning
5. Bibliographic Organization (for students with non-library background)
c. Postgraduate (PhD) courses:
1. Geopolitics of Information
2. Information Retrieval systems
3. Seminar on Information Management
4. Introduction to Computers and Programming
1. A Study of Bibliographic Relationships among Persian Works/ Jamileh Koohestani,
Master thesis, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 1379 .
2. A Survey of Farsi Reference Materials Publications since 1979 (A bibliometrics study)/
Nafiseh Dorrifar, Master thesis,Ferdowsi University of Mashhad,1379 .
3. A Survey of Awareness and use of Reference Sources among Ferdowsi University Students/
Shahin Mojiri, Master thesis,Ferdowsi University of Mashhad,2001.
4. A Survey of the Use of Press [Newspapers] in Bojnord, Khorassan Province, Iran/ Fatemeh
Zare'a, Master thesis, Islamic Azad University, 2001.
5. A Comparative Survey of the Management Style of Library Managers at Ferdowsi University
and Medical University of Mashhad/ Farhad Pouladi, Master thesis, Ferdowsi University
of Mashhad, 2001.
6. A Study of the impact of Indexing Techniques in Three Iranian Library Softwares/
Gholamreza Solgi, Master Thesis, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 2002.
7. A study of elements and features necessary for the design and evaluation of university
library Websites/ Ahmad-Reza Asghari Poodeh,Master Thesis, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 2002.
8. A Citation analysis of research reports in the fields of Social Sciences/Humanities and
Basic Sciences/Agriculture at Ferdowsi University of Mashhad / Ladan Ghezeli, Master
Thesis, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 2002.
9. A Survey of job satisfaction among faculty staff at the departments of library and information
sciences/ Jafarzadeh, Master Thesis, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, (to be presented in 2003).
A. Dissertations and research avtivities:
MLS Thesis (Abstrat in Farsi): A Study of Foreign Books importation and Distribution in
(1979). University of Tehran, Tehran.
Ph D Thesis (full text online): Relevance of Cataloguing Principles to the Online Environment: An Historical and Analytical Study. (1997). University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
I have also presented a paper on AACR2 and Catalogue Production Technology which is based on the above experiment: the International Conference on the principles and Future Development of AACR held in Toronto, 23-25 October 1997.
One of my favorite jobs was the arrangement and holding of The National Seminar on the Develpment and application of Iranian OPACs, 27 and 28 Aban 1378 (18 and 19 November 1999), Mashhad. The proceedings of this successful seminar have been published under the Farsi title of "Computer catalogs: Development and applications.-- Mashhad: Ferdowsi University; Tehran, JSIS, 1379.
B. Research projects:
1. An evaluation of display designs in Iranian OPACs. With Mehri Parirokh.-- Mashhad:
Ferdowsi University, 2000.
2. A survey of Ferdowsi University Libraries. Mehri Parirokh and Rahmatollah Fattahi.
--Mashhad: Ferdowsi University, 2001.
Computer Literacy: I have experience with: 1. Different Windows applications, e.g., Word for Windows, Works for Windows, Norton Commander, Page maker, DOS applications, Frontpage, PowerPoint, etc. 2. Internet tools: email, Telnet, Mosaic, Gopher, Web, 3. Different CD-ROM databases, 4. Online searching in DIALOG databases, Silverplatter databases, etc. 5. A number of Graphical User Interface library (demo diskett) softwares, e.g., GOPAC, INNOPAC, DRA, SIRSI, Mitinet, PALS
6. Designing homepages/websites for libraries
Rahmatollah Fattahi, Professor, Department of Library and Information Studies Faculty of Education and Pscychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, IRAN, P. O. Box 1518, Mashhad, Iran
email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com Fax: (0098511) 8783012 -- Ph: (0098511) 8783008, 9 (W); 8412008 (H); 09115145428 (Mobile)